Monday, April 9, 2012

Menu Project: Concept & Mood Board

For the restaurant/menu project, I am created an eccentric little establishment named AK47 Delicatessen and Cafe.  It would be an urban-based establishment offering an eclectic array of healthy and organic foods as well as (obviously) coffee, with a stress on fair trade and eco-responsibility.  It would also serve the creative community as a way to promote rising artists, musicians, & the like.

Although this is not ethnic per se, this sort of eatery would attract a group of people DJ would like to refer to as "hipsters," though I argue it is fitting for anyone in the mood for a good cup of joe or a delectable bowl of frozen yogurt in a warm and vibrant atmosphere, while benefiting a fair trade initiative and local farms at the same time.  The term "hipster" can lead people to think of cold, self-righteous creatives, but I want this cafe to be a warm, friendly, small city-style establishment where creative and analytical minds alike can gather to discuss, read, write, or just enjoy their coffee.

Before I make the history of this cafe, the name AK47 is actually something I made up in high school.  It comes from my first 2 initials A & K.  It was originally used for a fictional design firm I created in high school called AK47 Print & Press, which in & of itself seemed to be a bit of a contradiction between the very modern-sounding "AK47" & nostalgic "Print & Press," but I really liked it.  Of course my story of the cafe will be much more interesting, I hope.

My mood board exhibits several photos of the exteriors and interiors of different small urban cafes, as well as just a few food options including cappuccino, frozen yogurt, grape leaves (a personal favorite), and paninis.  One small thing I did want to stress is the orange coffee cup in the middle of the board, which is compostable; this theme of eco-responsibility I wanted to connect into the utensils, napkins, etc., maybe even the take-out box.  To the side, the color scheme provided evokes warmth with numerous browns & oranges & adds a dash of contrast with green accents.

No comments:

Post a Comment